Is Pakistan Ready for Inclusive Education

Knowledge has no end. It is always growing. But Pakistan is different from rest of the world in this regard. The human mind has an interesting fact that it can accept the new theories easily, in fact this is how we learn but in our countries ,our people has a mindset to reject the new ideas rather to accept them and extend them. For example, the inclusive education. Many theoretician of education, usually have an idea to educate the disabled students similar to everyone else in normal schools. There is a question arises, to what extend this theory is being practicable in Pakistan.

Check PEC 8th Class Result 2017 Online by Entering Your Roll Number Here

6% to 14% of Pakistani populations have some disabilities, according to the census of 1998. This means that among 180 million of Pakistan’s population, 4 to 8 million people are classified as disabled. And even among these 45% are under 18. According to a report, about 2 million disable children of school ages are at high risk, although many efforts has been made and many money has been spent  but still 2% of disable children have accessed to good education although they are at high risk. And another 2 % of disable children get their education from ordinary schools without the extra care, effort and attention they require. See this is Pakistan where there is special education for disables but that is only for urban people. about 1.5 million youngsters of rural area have no means to get education. So analyzing this we can say that in Pakistan the inclusive education is simple a drop in the bucket.

Image Credit =

The people who proposed the theory of inclusive education wanted to provide all the special requirements to the disable students in the normal educational institutions. To carry out work for the inclusive education, one should analyze the situations that are prevailing in our country. The people who have given the proposals of the theory of inclusive education believes that the it is a kind of intrusion in human rights to keep these children apart from their equal ones. At this point we can say that the inclusive education might be interference between their rights to get special attention from specialists that they need.

While interviewing experienced professors and asking them a question that are we ready to provide our disable children with education who require extra care and effort in ordinary schools with normal ones?  According to Professor Hameed, 4% of our disable children are allowed to go special schools. The other 96% are not allowed to go to such special schools. Moreover we do not have much trained teachers who can teach to special children. We have lack of many resources also. Unfortunately we have an acute shortage of experts and yet no efforts are made in this regard. So we are not ready for inclusive education according to him.

We are not ready to provide our disable child with quality education at school level. So we need to work hard in this respect. This is a big challenge to teach children having disabilities. We need to change our system and strategies. As we have not many resources so we should make it possible to give education to our disable children by fulfilling their extra requirements in ordinary institution with normal students. But till now our educational institutions are not well equipped to provide education to disables along with normal.

Khalid rasheed from university of management sciences and technology said that the separation between the special and normal schools not only exist in Pakistan but also in the gulf as well. It is not easy to teach the special and normal students in a same classroom. Children with minor disabilities can be included in normal schools. But with huge disability it is very difficult to teach them with normal in one class when we have not well trained teachers.


Post a Comment

If you have any questions or want to share your opinions or views on any news , feel free to write us in the comment box.