Student Visa for USA

Student Visa for USA

Anyone who needs to enter the United States of America needs the visa of United States if he or she is not a native resident. The student visa is for those who want to go to the United States for study purposes.

There are two kind of visas which a student can have and it depends on what are you to to study. 

Following are the two types of the visa. 

 F-1 Visa

 This visa is for those who want to go to study in the following

  • High School
  • University or College
  • Private elementary school
  • Conservatory
  • Any other academic institutes including a language training program

M-1 visa

This visa is applicable for those who are going to study in the vocational or nonacademic institution other than language training program.

Acceptance of Students

Before you apply in the embassy of United States in your country of re approved school, there is a long process in which you apply to the school you intend to attend and once the schools accepts you, you are sent to the data base of international students called as SEVIS (Student and Exchanger Visitor Information System). You have to pay the fee for the system as well. Once you are accepted, then your school will give you a form I-20 which you will be taking with you to the embassy or consulate while going for interview for visa. If you want your spouse or children to reside with you during the time of your study in the United States you have to get an additional I-20 form without any fee.

How to Apply

Applying for a United States visa is not a single step process and every country and consulate may have different requirements for the visa applications. You can check that on the website of consulates where you intend to apply to visa.

If the age of the applicant is less than 13 or larger than 80, then visa interview is not generally required. The age bracket of 14 to 79 generally requires an interview but this is not a hard and fast rule. The consular officers have right to ask anyone for the interview at anytime.

There is a wait time for the visa applications interview as so many applications have been dropped in. The wait time however depends on the location and the consulate you want to go to.

New students

I f you are a new student then your visa can be issued 120 days before the start date but you will not be allowed to enter USA more than 30 days before  your class. The current students can renew their visas anytime provided their SEVIS records are maintained and current.

Documentation requirements

Before you go for the visa interview, you are supposed to bring these documents with you, prepare them pre hand.
  1. Passport – valid for the travel to the United States. It must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the US.
  2. Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
  3. Receipt of Application Fee Payment
  4. Photo
  5. Certificate of eligibility (the form which will be sent to you by your school)

 Other than these, there can be additional documents which are

  1. Your academic preparations which include transcripts, degrees , certificate.
  2. Scores of the tests your school required like TOEFL, SAT, GRE or GMAT.
  3. How will you pay all the costs?
Once you are done with all the documents, you are good to go for the visa interview.


Post a Comment

If you have any questions or want to share your opinions or views on any news , feel free to write us in the comment box.